Hi, I’m Falcon Storm and the story you’ve been reading is from my pen name F.M. Storm. It’s more accurately “Alcon Storm,” because this is like my Falcon Storm work, I just got the F out of it. It’s the cozy side of the urban and paranormal world of The Flip that I created as Falcon Storm. There’s still magic and mystery, but probably a lot less violence and darkness. And a lot more cats.
An Interview with F.M. Storm
Where did you grow up, and where do you live now? Tell us something a lot of people don’t know about your home town.
I’m from Eagle River, Alaska originally. Probably half my life was spent there. I also spent time in Texas and North Carolina. Now I live in the wonderful woods of Brighton with my wife and daughter.
Something a lot of people don’t know about Eagle River, Alaska? Besides that it exists? It’s the first checkpoint in the Iditarod.
What is your favorite part about writing Cozy Mysteries?
I love heist movies and because of that, I used to plan out imaginary heists, and this is really an extension of that. I’ve always joked that if it weren’t for my strong morals, I might’ve had a good career in crime.
Who or what inspired you to become an author?
My dad used to have all these “adventures.” Sure, he called them hunting trips, but I used to beg for these trips to be my bedtime stories. From there, I just got addicted to stories by Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, and Michael Crichton. After all those stories, I eventually decided to tell my own.
If you weren’t an author, what would you be doing?
If I wasn’t an author, these stories would still have to come out of me, so I’d probably host a weekly D&D game or another tabletop RPG in order to tell stories that characters interact with. After all, that’s what I did before becoming an author.
Do you have any pets? Please tell us about them!
Ha! Do I have pets? Okay, here are my pets. I DO NOT HAVE TOO MANY DOGS.
- Michael Biscuit: Corgi, male. On Instagram as @dukeoffluffington. Very floofy and loud. He’s also my favorite. Favorite animal, I still love my wife and child more than Michael Biscuit. Also, he has a Rap Rock alter ego: Mike Bizkit.
- Sky Princess: Chihuahua, female. Named by my daughter and my wife’s favorite. Yes, I get teased about it at the vet's office.
- Mila: Chihuahua-mix, female. Sky Princess's mother. Part-time Jabba the Hut cosplayer. Has a stuffed manatee named Hugh.
- Cricket: Pomeranian, female. Likes to bork. A lot. Survived a run-in with fox as a puppy. Likes to be fancy. (Possibly the pokèmon, Vulpix.) Has the same birthdate as my wife.
- Sitka: Pomeranian/Husky mix, female. Athletic, loves to run and hunt squirrels. (Only a problem when she catches them). Sleeps like a dead bug. Vet said she might be a bit overweight, but I say she's just a little husky.
- Schrödinger: Cat, male. Honorary dog. Professor. Unimpressed with being called an honorary dog. (He got darker as he aged… Like a banana)
- Golden Retriever, male. The answer to “Who's a good boy?” Knows three languages. Wants you to throw the ball already.
Have you found your own real life happily ever after?
When I was just 14 years old, I dreamt about my happily ever after. That dream came true. Melissa Storm and I got married in December of 2012 and had our daughter, Phoenix in October of 2013.
What is one book that impacted or changed your life that you think everybody should read? Tell us about it.
There are so many books that I could recommend here. But something that EVERYONE should read? That’s a tall order. I think Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is probably the perfect book for everyone. There’s something for everyone and it doesn’t take itself very seriously. Which was how I really got into writing in the first place.